The Office of the Registrar maintains the student education record. The Emmanuel College transcript, including student graduation information, as well as student demographic information and class and grade rosters are maintained permanently by the College. All other student education records are maintained by the College for a minimum of five years after the student's last active enrollment.

Emmanuel College regulates access to and release of a student's records in accordance with the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 as amended (PL 93-380, Section 438, The General Education Provisions Act). The purpose of this act is to protect the privacy of students regarding the release of records and access to records maintained by the institution.

In compliance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (the Buckley Amendment/FERPA), Emmanuel College has committed itself to protecting the privacy rights of its students and to maintaining the confidentiality of its records. A copy of this law is available on the U.S. Department of Education website.

Certain personally identifiable information from a student's educational record, designated by Emmanuel College as directory information, may be released without the student's prior consent. A student who so wishes has the absolute right to prevent release of this information. In order to do so, the student must complete a form requesting nondisclosure of directory information by the end of add/drop period. This form is available in the Office of the Registrar.

Directory information includes name, term, home and electronic address, campus address and mailbox number, telephone and voice mailbox number, date and place of birth, photograph, major field of study, participation in officially-recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, program of enrollment, anticipated date of graduation, degrees and awards received, the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended and other similar information. Some or all of this information may be published in directories such as a student directory, an electronic student directory, a sports program or other campus publications.

School officials who need access to student records to fulfill the official duties of their position may access appropriate student records without student consent. With regard to external inquiries, the Office of the Registrar will verify directory information, unless advised to the contrary by the student as indicated above. "Verify" means to affirm or deny the correctness of the information. The College will not provide corrections for inaccurate information. All non-directory information, which is considered confidential, will not be released to outside inquiries without the express consent of the student. However, the College will verify financial awards and release data for government agencies.

Students have the right to review their educational records. A student may waive this right in special cases of confidential letters of recommendation relative to admission to any educational agency or institution, application for employment, receipt of financial aid form, or receipt of any services or benefits from such an agency or institution. A copy of this law is available here: Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. If you have any questions, please contact the Registrar's Office at 617-735-9960.

The U.S. Government Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. They are:

(1) The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day the College receives a request for access.
Students should submit to the Registrar a written request that identifies the record(s) they wish to inspect. The Registrar will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the Registrar, the student will be advised of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

(2) The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading.
Students may ask Emmanuel College to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write to the Emmanuel College official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading.

If Emmanuel College decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, Emmanuel College will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for an amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

(3) The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by Emmanuel College in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom Emmanuel College has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.

A school official has a legitimate education interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.

(4) The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Emmanuel College to comply with the requirements of FERPA.
The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is available from the Office of the Registrar.

As of January 3, 2012, the U.S. Department of Education's FERPA regulations expand the circumstances under which your education records and personally identifiable information (PII) contained in such records - including your Social Security Number, grades, or other private information - may be accessed without your consent. First, the U.S. Comptroller General, the U.S. Attorney General, the U.S. Secretary of Education, or state and local education authorities ("Federal and State Authorities") may allow access to your records and PII without your consent to any third party designated by a Federal or State Authority to evaluate a federal- or state-supported education program. The evaluation may relate to any program that is "principally engaged in the provision of education," such as early childhood education and job training, as well as any program that is administered by an education agency or institution. Second, Federal and State Authorities may allow access to your education records and PII without your consent to researchers performing certain types of studies, in certain cases even when we object to or do not request such research. Federal and State Authorities must obtain certain use-restriction and data security promises from the entities that they authorize to receive your PII, but the Authorities need not maintain direct control over such entities. In addition, in connection with Statewide Longitudinal Data Systems, State Authorities may collect, compile, permanently retain, and share without your consent PII from your education records, and they may track your participation in education and other programs by linking such PII to other personal information about you that they obtain from other Federal or State data sources, including workforce development, unemployment insurance, child welfare, juvenile justice, military service, and migrant student records systems.

Students may wish to provide a parent or other person access to their view mid-semester (if applicable) and final transcripted grades via EC Online Services. This authorization is not to be considered a FERPA waiver and does not permit the person the student gives access to (listed as the “designated user”) access to the student’s ECLearn account, course schedule, ability to request transcripts or to discuss the student’s academic record with College faculty or staff without the express written permission from the student provided to the Office of the Registrar.

Final transcripted grades are those final grades submitted by the faculty member at the end of the semester and posted to the student’s transcript. Mid-semester grades are used as an advising tool and are not factored into the student’s GPA or posted on the transcript as a part of the student’s official academic record. Mid-semester grades are submitted by faculty in the sixth week of the semester. 

Students who wish to grant grade access may do so by simply logging in to EC Online Services using your Emmanuel credentials and select the “User Options” tab.  

  1. Select “Designate Authorized User” and enter authorized user's name, preferred email address, relationship, and birth date.  
  2. Select level of account access you wish to authorize (complete access or select access) and click “Submit”.
  3. The authorized user will receive an email notice that they have been set up as an authorized user. A separate email will be sent with their Username, a link with their password, and a direct link to EC Online Services. The password link will be active for 24 hours. 

Helpful Tips:

  1. Authorized users will be provided a username that has an underscore to differentiate them from student or staff logins. Please note that when authorized users sign in with their login information, it will automatically autofill your login to ‘’.
  2. When you log in you should get an initial screen that says you can go into your own profile, labelled ‘You’ or you can go into the student’s account. Authorized users should click the student’s name and ‘Continue’ to view the financial and/or academic information the student has shared access to.  
  3. Once authorized users have logged in and detailed into the student’s account they should see a banner that states they are “acting on behalf of…” and everything that the student extended privileges for should be displayed on this screen. If you are still missing access to information, please check with your student as they can confirm the level of access they have provided.

What if I still have questions?

  • If you have questions about the access you have been provided, please contact your student as they can set up their authorized user(s) and/or update their level of access at any time.
  • For financial questions please contact the Office of Student Financial Services at 617-735-9938 or financialservices [at] (financialservices[at]emmanuel[dot]edu)
  • For technical assistance please contact Information Technology at 617-735-9966 or helpdesk [at] (helpdesk[at]emmanuel[dot]edu)

The faculty on record for a course will grade all assignments, including the final exam, and submit the official final grade to the Office of the Registrar. Only the faculty on record may officially change a grade.

If on review, a student wishes to challenge a grade, whether on an individual assignment or the final transcripted grade, the formal procedure should be followed in the order listed below. Students may appeal a grade no later than one year after the course was completed. Unless a calculation error occurs, records of students who have graduated are final and cannot be amended.

1. Student: The student determines an error has been made by consulting with the faculty member involved and/or in consultation with the Registrar (or other officer involved).

2. Faculty: The student should consult with the faculty on record for the course to challenge the grade. If after discussing with the faculty member, the student believes the grade is still in error, the student may choose to petition to the Department Chair by email. If the faculty member was an adjunct and no longer employed by the College, the student should consult the Department Chair.

3. Department Chair: The Department Chair may, after discussing with the student, consult with the faculty member regarding the grade. If the student believes the situation cannot be resolved, the student may petition the Associate Dean of the applicable School.

4. Associate Dean: After discussing the matter with the Associate Dean, if the student believes the situation has not been resolved, the student may petition the Vice President of Academic Affairs (VPAA).

5. Vice President of Academic Affairs: The VPAA will review the situation and inform the student of a decision regarding the grievance. The VPAA decision is final and cannot be appealed.

For a list of Department Chairs and Associate Deans please visit: Academic Affairs Administration