Access resources to help plan your department’s course offerings for the upcoming semester.
Academic Scheduling Protocols and Processes
To carry out the mission of Emmanuel College, the classroom facilities are primarily for use by students, faculty, and staff for activities and programs that are directly related to teaching, research, and preparation of scholarly material. Every effort is made to ensure that classrooms are assigned fairly, used appropriately, and accommodate the college's academic and instructional needs.
These processes are designed to ensure maximum utilization in all classrooms spanning the entire scheduling grid. It is our responsibility to not only meet the needs of faculty, but our students when preparing our course schedule. Classroom space is a finite resource, and the goal of these policies is to maximize room and seat utilization, while taking into consideration faculty needs. These objectives and classroom utilization expectations apply to all academic departments and classroom space. Classroom scheduling is a dynamic process requiring reevaluation of class size, equipment specifications, and pedagogical changes each term. The assignment of a specific room at a specific time in a given term will not automatically guarantee a continuing assignment of that space, even if the room was used efficiently. Faculty members should not expect to use the same space on a continuing basis.
The Office of the Registrar is responsible for all classroom scheduling and overall rooming utilization. It is also the Office of the Registrar's responsibility to ensure all expected courses are offered during the correct offering term and year.
The department chairpersons are responsible for determining course offerings and submitting to the Office of the Registrar before the required deadlines. Each department chair is also required to submit all faculty updates to the office of the registrar no later than the Friday before the start of the term.
Course Meeting Regulations
Courses should be offered according to the standard block times on the grid.
- Class times may not overflow into another time block, unless it is a lab or studio course.
- Departments may not offer two courses in the same time block until each time block is used.
- When applicable, department courses should be spread evenly over each day’s time periods and throughout the week (Monday through Friday).
- It is also expected that each department offer a course at 8am, either the MWF 8-8:50am or TTH 8am-9:15am.
- Department chairs need to consult with one other to avoid scheduling courses designed for the same population.
- Seminar courses or senior level internship courses must be offered during the following time slots:
- Friday 12:00-3:00
- Tuesday through Thursday, 4:30 or 6:00pm for three hours
- Two evenings per week, Tuesday through Thursday, 6:00-7:15pm.
- Courses may not be offered during the activity period: 12:15-1:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Changes in Classroom Assignments: Instructors/Department chairpersons may not move their class without approval from the Office of the Registrar. All schedule changes affecting class meeting time/days or classroom assignments must be requested to the Office of the Registrar prior to the start of the semester.
Classroom Maintenance: Food service is not permitted in academic classrooms.
Facilities can be reached at 617-735-9950 or in the basement of St. Anne's. If you are submitting a work order, you can do so here.
Information technology is responsible for all maintenance and repair of all equipment and technology. Information Technology can be reached at 617-735-9966 or in the Eisner Administration Building, Room A133.