Declaring a major at Emmanuel College is a major decision in the life of a student. To celebrate this occasion, faculty and students take part in the tradition of Sophomore Pinning.
Due to the COVID-19 situation, Sophomore Pinning will not be held on Saturday, April 4, 2020. We hope to be in touch soon regarding a new date to celebrate this important milestone.
Every spring, sophomores mark their selection of a major field of study with a pinning ceremony. Faculty members present each student in their department with a traditional Emmanuel pin. Students must officially declare their major to participate.
Below please find some information for the day of Sophomore Pinning:
- While the program begins at 1:00 p.m., students are required to report to the gymnasium by 12:15 p.m.
- Many families choose to celebrate this milestone in a student's college career by taking them out to lunch at a local restaurant. You are more than welcome to do so. If you wish to eat on campus, please note Saturday's hours: Continental Breakfast 9:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m.; Brunch 11:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.; and Dinner, 4:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m. Cash, credit or debit card payments are accepted at the door.
- Parking for the event will be provided both on campus and at an additional parking garage on Beth Israel's campus. If you are directed to park in the Beth Israel parking garage, please note that this location closes at 5:00 p.m. If you are planning on staying beyond 5 p.m., please move your car onto Main Campus after the ceremony.
- Please note that if you plan to bring a balloon to celebrate this day, we request that you choose Mylar balloons instead of Latex to respect any allergies that may be present.
- There is no limit to the number of guests that can be brought to the event. We ask that you give us the best approximation of the number that will attend when you RSVP.