When Meghan Larkin '19 was a first-year student at Emmanuel, she paid close attention to her resident assistants (RAs) and became inspired by the effort they put into creating a positive living environment.
The start of the 2014-2015 academic year marked the opening of Emmanuel College's Notre Dame Campus, located at 17 Highland Park Street in the historic Fort Hill/Highland Park neighborhood of Roxbury.
After purchasing the property in 2012, the College converted the former home of the Society of St. Margaret's Convent into a center for programs related to its mission—retreats, reflection and prayer, spiritual direction, social justice and service learning. Today, it serves as a residence hall, as well as home to the Urband Food Project, a student led organization focused on food insecurity, urban gardening and education, and the Institute for Eastern Mediterranean Studies, which promotes and supports the study of the Eastern Mediterranean and neighboring regions by building on the liberal arts mission of the College and leveraging the academic and innovative power of Boston.
The Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur operated Notre Dame Academy on Washington Street, just a few short blocks from the site the Notre Dame Campus, from 1854 to 1965, when the school relocated to Hingham, Mass. Today, Notre Dame Street is situated adjacent to Washington Street, in recognition of the Sisters of Notre Dame's impact on the neighborhood.
The Notre Dame Campus is situated on 1.65 acres and includes four buildings, ranging from two to four stories and totaling 35,734 square feet. One of the four buildings is the William Lloyd Garrison House, the historic residence of the leader of Boston's anti-slavery cause. Built in the 1840s, this two-story Greek Revival structure is a National Historic Landmark. Additional features of the other buildings on the property include a chapel, library, conference center, residence space, dining/kitchen facilities, and meeting and office spaces, as well as amazing views of the Boston skyline.