Professor of Mathematics
Chair, Department of Mathematics; Professor of Mathematics; Chair of the Biostatistics Program
Office: Cardinal Cushing Library , Room G13
Office hours: Mondays and Wednesdays, 10:00 a.m.- 11:30 a.m., Tuesday and Thursday, 3:30 p.m.- 4:30 p.m.
Ph.D. in Mathematics, Emory University; M.S. in Mathematics/ Statistics, St. Petersburg State University, Russia
I have always enjoyed solving mathematical problems. When I was a little girl, I liked to solve mathematical puzzles. In high school I joined a math club and was constantly asking my teacher for new problems to solve. In college and graduate school, I have discovered a beauty of mathematics beyond just solving problems. I started teaching mathematics in 1994, my final year as a student at St. Petersburg State University. Since then, I have taught a broad variety of undergraduate mathematics courses for both mathematics majors and non-mathematics majors, as well as graduate mathematics courses. Teaching mathematics fills me with joy; seeing the students being interested in mathematics, watching the smiles on their faces when a problem is solved, laughing with them, learning from them, nourishing their success, and standing by them at graduation provides me with regular reminders of how happy I am to have found a profession I find so rewarding.
What I Love About Emmanuel:
I am glad to teach at a College that embraces moral values and teaches students to make ethical decision throughout their lives.
Courses I Teach
- MATH 1111 - Calculus I
- MATH 1112 - Calculus II
- MATH 1117 - Introduction to Statistics
- MATH 2103 - Calculus III
- MATH 2109 - Discrete Methods
- MATH 2113 - Applied Statistics
- MATH 3103 - Probability
- MATH 3105 - Advanced Statistics
- MATH 4101 - Programming in SAS
Publications + Presentations
- Seasonal Distribution and Eosinophilic Esophagitis: The Experience in Children living in Rural Communities, Yoram Elitsur, Rohit Aswani, Vicky Lund, Yulia Dementieva, Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, 2013 Mar; 47(3):287-8.
- The accuracy of endoscopic features in Eosinophilic Esophagitis: The experience in children from rural West Virginia, Awni Al-Subu, Lauren Bevins, Dementieva Yulia, Yoram Elitsur, Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, 2012 Nov-Dec; 46(10):e83-6.
- A High Omega-3 Fatty Acid Diet has Different Effects on Early and Late Stage Myeloid Progenitors, Melinda E. Varney, James T. Buchanan, Yulia Dementieva, W. Elaine Hardman and Vincent E. Sollars, Lipids, January 2011, 1: 47-57.
- Identification of the Early VIP Transcriptome and its Associated Interactome in Resting and Activated Murine CD4 T Cells, Sheri Tinnell Dorsam, Emilie Vomhof-Dekrey, Rebecca Hermann, Jodie Haring, Travis van der Steen, Erich Wilkerson, Goran Boskovic, James Denvir, Yulia Dementieva, Donald Primerano and Glenn Paul Dorsam, Molecular Immunology, 2010 Mar; 47(6):1181-94.
- Eradication of therapy-resistant human prostate tumors using an ultrasound guided site-specific Mda7/IL-24 cancer terminator virus, Adelaide Greco, A.D. Benedetto, C. Howard, S. Kelly, Y. Dementieva, M. Miranda, A. Brunetti, M. Salvatore, L. Claudio, D. Sarkar, P.B. Fisher, and P.P. Claudio, Molecular Therapy, (2010) 18 2, 295-306.
- Proteomic and genomic analysis of PITX2 interacting and regulating networks, Y. Huang, K. Huang, G. Boskovic, Y. Dementieva, J. Denvir, D.A. Primerano, G.Z. Zhu; FEBS Letters, 2009; Vol. 583, Issue 4, Pages 638-642.
- Accelerated head growth in early development of individuals with autism, Y. Dementieva, D. Vance, S. Donnely, L. Elston, , C. Wolpert, S. Ravan, G. DeLong, R. Abramson, H. Wright, M. Cuccaro; Pediatric Neurology, Vol. 32, Issue 2, pp. 102-108, Feb. 2005.
- Analysis of European mitochondrial haplogroups with Alzheimer disease risk, J. van der Walt, Y. Dementieva, E. Martin, W. Scott, K. Nicodimus, C. Kroner, K. Welsh-Bohmer, A. Saunders, A. Roses, G. Small, D. Schmechel, P. Doraiswammy, J. Gilbert, J. Haines, J. Vance, M. Pericak-Vance, Neuroscience Letters, 365 (1) pp. 28-32, 2004.
- On characterizing hypergraph regularity, Y. Dementieva, P. Haxell, B. Nagle, V. Rodl, Random Structures and Algorithms, Vol. 21, Issue 3-4, pp. 293-335, Oct-Dec. 2002.
My current research interest is in the area of Applied Statistics, including Statistical Genetics. I collaborate with researchers from many different fields on performing statistical analyses of their data. The goal of the one research group I work with is to identify genes susceptible to complex human diseases (such as cancer, autistic disorder, or cardiovascular diseases). Accomplishing this goal requires statistical analyses as well as the development of new, more powerful statistical methods.