Please find additional resources for current students during online learning below:
Relevant Articles with Suggestions on Learning and Life:
Apps and Programs to Assist:
- You can login with your Emmanuel email address and access Jaws screen reader, Zoom Text magnifier and reader and Fusion which combines the aspects of Jaws and Zoom Text. Freedom Scientific has released special, free, short-term licenses of these three software programs for individuals with a personal email address in Canada or the United States.
- This program offers state-of-the-art word prediction, speech feedback, proofreading, enhanced topical web searches to help with researching for projects and papers, and more. WordQ has a 30 day free trial.
- Kurzweil 3000
- Kurzweil, a text-to-speech software, is offering a free subscription for all during COVID-19
- Read&Write offers support with everyday tasks like reading text out loud, understanding unfamiliar words, researching assignments and proofing written work. They are offering a free 30-day trial. After the 30 days, basic functions, like text-to-speech, are still available at no cost.
- Google Dictate
- Google Dictate turns your Google Chrome into a speech recognition app to type long documents, emails and school essays without touching the keyboard.
- Dragon Anywhere
- (Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Requires iOS 4.0 or later.) Dragon Dictation is a voice recognition app that allows the user to see the text generated through speaking instead of typing. It can be used with popular social networking applications.
- Dictation is a free online speech recognition software that will help you write emails, documents and essays using your voice narration and without typing.
- Resources for Hard-of-Hearing and Deaf in the Workplace- Communication apps, tools and technology for inclusion, productivity, and education.
- Google Live Transcribe- Android app that captures speech-to-text and adjusts text captions as the audio flows.
- InnoCaption- Real-time captioning of smart-phone calls to caption/text.
- EarMachine- (IOS only) Picks up sounds around you, amplifies and enhances the sound, and produces the amplified sound to your speakers.
- AVA- An app that captions verbal responses from a meeting and transfers the audio to text.
- Otter- Records group meetings and takes meeting notes in real time.
- Be My Eyes - A free app that connects blind and low-vision people with sighted volunteers and company representatives for visual assistance through a live video call.
- Attention/Focus/Online Learning:
- Study Break Focus Time Tracker- (IOS only) Tracks study-break intervals and sends alerts when it is time to get back to work.
- Focus - Time Management- Sets a schedule for “focus” time and breaks; built in task-manager to organize work; offers statistics to show weekly and monthly activity of time.
- Innovative Educators has created a site that we have registered Emmanuel with that provides free (for 30 days) tips, videos, suggestions for students as you navigate the land of online education. You can follow the prompts below to access the library of resources available to you.
Accessibility features of Microsoft Teams and Zoom:
Please remember that the Academic Resource Center (ARC) has academic coaches who are here to help you with study strategies, organization, time-management, and at home-skills. Additionally, the ARC continues to provide individual peer tutoring, study groups and Math, Writing and Science Specialists to all students in an online format.
The ARC has compiled resources (Academic Strategy Assistance) that will be helpful as you navigate online learning this semester.
The Library Learning Commons has also created an Accessibility Information for Library Resources guide for reference this semester.