- If a student discovers a fire, the student should ring the alarm and immediately leave the building according to evacuation procedures. The student can then notify Campus Safety (617-735-9888 or 617-735-9710).
- Every student must evacuate the building immediately when the fire alarm rings. Do not wait for the RA to tell you to evacuate! Failure to do so will result in disciplinary action and a fine.
- Each student is responsible for knowing the fire exits throughout the building.
- Elevators should never be used when the fire alarm rings.
- Emergency exits may be used in case of emergency only.
- It is both a state (Mass. General Laws Ch. 29, Sec. 13) and federal offense to tamper with fire equipment such as alarms, fire extinguisher, or other fire safety equipment. Students who tamper with such equipment will receive disciplinary action up to and including removal from the residence halls.
- Candles, incense, live Christmas trees, ceiling decorations, microwave ovens, toasters and toaster ovens, hot plates, electric heaters, rice cookers, hot pots, coffeemakers and other like items may not be used or stored in student rooms. Hot pots, coffee makers, rice cookers, and microwaves must be used in the kitchen area located on each floor.
- Halogen lamps are not allowed in the residence halls. The intense heat given off by the light bulb is a fire hazard.
Fire Safety Regulations