Tutorials and Information Resources
Whether you are a beginner or an advanced user, there are a number of online tutorials and resources available for you:
- ATIG has an SPSS Basics reference sheet, available below.
- Atomic Learning offers a one-hour video training on SPSS. You can access this through the MySaints portal.
- Cal State LA has detailed handouts on performing common statistical analyses in SPSS, with links to additional tutorials and resources on these methods of analysis.
- UCLA offers learning modules on different introductory and intermediate SPSS topics as well as a library of code fragments for advanced users.
- Amherst College offers a number of introductory tutorials as well as information on reporting statistics in APA format.
- Bob Muenchen has detailed instructions on using R with SPSS: http://r4stats.com/articles/calling-r/
- The IBM SPSS Statistics 20 User Guide is exhaustive and searchable, and has a number of other manuals on topics including using R and Python and performing advanced analyses.
Using SPSS Off Campus
Accessing SPSS from off campus no longer requires using the VPN. If you would like to use SPSS at home, please contact the Help Desk to get a home-use license installed on your computer.
Student Use of SPSS
SPSS is installed on the computers in the reference area of the Cardinal Cushing Library, as well as the library computer lab. Students can use SPSS on the reference area computers during regular library hours and in the computer lab whenever the lab is not being used for instruction.
Workshops and Instruction
ATIG offers SPSS Basics workshops to faculty, staff and students. For details on workshop offerings, see our calendar.
We can also provide SPSS Basics or topic-based workshops (such as using the chart editor and effective visualization design, data management best practices, or using particular features and analytical techniques in SPSS) for your classes as in-class instruction sessions. If you are interested in having an in-class instruction session, please contact Emily Strong at email@example.com.