Emmanuel College is committed to equal opportunity in Housing and Residential Life facilities and will provide disability-related accommodations to ensure equal access for students with documented disabilities.
Emmanuel College acknowledges:
- Certain medical conditions may cause discomfort in a collegiate housing environment, but many medical conditions do not qualify as a disability, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) and Fair Housing Act (FHA), and may not be eligible for housing accommodations
- Housing accommodations are based upon medical evidence of need as determined by ADAAA and FHA policies and guidelines and are determined on a case-by-case basis by a team of professionals
Who is eligible for Housing Accommodations?
Full-time, undergraduate students who:
- Wish to live in college housing,
- Completed the necessary Residence Life paperwork by the stated deadline (Please refer to the Residence Life web page for more information/details.),
- Are registered/in the process of registering with Disability Support Services,
- Have documented disability needs that may necessitate a housing accommodation,
- Examples of possible housing accommodation needs include:
- Students who have mobility needs that cannot be met in a traditional room
- Students who have medical needs that involve extensive apparatus or medicine regimens that may not be conducive in a traditional room
Students must reapply each new academic year/summer term for Housing Accommodations.
Please note: Students who are requesting consideration for an air conditioner based upon a medically-documented condition will need to pursue this request as a "Housing Exception" through Residence Life/Health Services. Please contact Residence Life to obtain and complete an Air Conditioning Request form. This process does not go through DSS. Completed forms are submitted to Residence Life.
Disability Support Services contact person for Housing Accommodations
If you believe you meet the criteria to request housing accommodations, please contact Noelle Galli, Accommodations Coordinator in Disability Support Services (email@example.com). It is recommended that you contact Noelle before the room assignment process begins.
Steps in the Process of Requesting Housing Accommodations:
- Contact Noelle Galli, Accommodations Coordinator in Disability Support Services at firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest in requesting housing accommodations. Please note: Students who are requesting consideration for an air conditioner based upon a medically-documented condition will need to pursue this request as a "Housing Exception" through Residence Life/Health Services. Please contact Residence Life to obtain and complete an Air Conditioning Request form. This process does not go through DSS. Completed forms are submitted to Residence Life.
- Register with Disability Support Services (if you are already registered, please skip to number three).
- Complete a Self-Disclosure Form and return it to Noelle Galli, Accommodations Coordinator, via email, mail, fax, or delivered in person
- Submit appropriate documentation (i.e. psycho-educational, psychological, neurological, neuro-psychological, medical, or similar reports)
- Complete Housing Accommodation Request forms
- Student completes and submits the Request for Housing Accommodations Student Form
- Health Care Provider completes and submits the Health Care Provider Request for Housing Accommodation Form. This may appear redundant but is needed for the Housing Committee to review the request.
- Noelle will contact the student via email to arrange for an intake meeting to formally register with Disability Support Services.
- The Housing Committee will review all complete request packets received by the deadline* and the student will receive communication via email from a member of the Residence Life staff making an accommodation offer. The student will then have the opportunity to accept or reject the proposed offer.
Please note the following deadlines for requests to be received prior to the Housing Selection Process:
Housing Accommodation Form Deadlines for Spring 2019
|Request for Housing Accommodations – Student Form
||February 22, 2019
|| June 24, 2019
|Request for Housing Accommodations – Health Care Provider Form
||February 22, 2019
|| June 24, 2019
Next Steps after Documentation is Submitted:
- A committee of Residence Life staff, Counseling Center staff, Academic Resource Center and Disability Support Services staff, and Health Services staff will review each completed request packet.
- Based upon the documentation submitted and the College's available housing inventory, the Committee will determine a reasonable accommodation offer and the student will receive an offer via email from a member of the Residence Life staff.
- The student has the right to accept or reject the proposed offer. A student who declines his/her proposed housing accommodation offer will participate in the Housing Selection process to select a room.
- If the Committee determines that the student is not approved for the accommodation(s), the student will be notified in writing so that he/she can make arrangements to participate in the Housing Selection process.
- An accommodation request is based upon the student's individual need and may only accommodate the student with the documented need. It may not include other specified students/roommates.
- A request should not name specific buildings, but rather describe an environment that is needed to accommodate the student's needs.
*If the need for Housing Accommodations arises AFTER the deadline:
- Requests received after the deadline will still be reviewed and accommodated to the best ability considering the housing inventory.
- There will be a two-week documentation review period for any requests submitted post-deadline.
- If a request received post-deadline is able to be accommodated, the student has the right to accept the offer and make the offered housing change or reject the offer and remain in the previously-selected housing assignment
Who can I contact with questions?
- For further clarification or questions on the process, please contact Noelle Galli, Disability Support Services Accommodations Coordinator at email@example.com or 617-732-1681
- Students with specific dietary needs should contact Robin Fortado, General Manager of Bon Appetit at Emmanuel College, at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Information Regarding Emotional Support Animals