What is an RA?
This past year, the Office of Residence Life & Housing at Emmanuel College has employed a staff of 36 students as Resident Assistants. They have worked in the four on-campus residence halls as well as the satellite locations that Emmanuel College has provided as residences. The Resident Assistant’s primary mission is to be available in the residence halls to assist other students. Major areas of responsibility are community building, programming, emergency response, and administration. Please refer to the enclosed position description for detailed information.
Consideration for Selection
Recognizing that the primary role of a helping person in an academic community is an educational one, the following considerations are critical in the selection of a Resident Assistant:
- Attitude that conveys a positive regard towards Residence Life & Housing and Emmanuel College policies and procedures, and works cooperatively towards a successful program.
- Ability in communication, leadership, teamwork and creativity.
- Administrative skills for the completion of paperwork and related details associated with Residence Life & Housing.
- Interest in personal growth and enthusiasm for working with various campus and community members.
- Willingness to assume responsibility in the development of an effective living environment.
Growth as a Staff Member
Resident Assistants are provided with special training throughout the year to make them more effective in this position as well as to promote opportunities for personal growth.
- The Resident Assistant’s participation in August 2013 and January 2014 training, as well as monthly in-service programs during the year, is a firm requirement and is crucial to the smooth functioning of the halls.
- Other opportunities for growth as a staff member will be provided and participation in such opportunities is encouraged.
Because of the demanding nature of the Resident Assistant position, the Office of Residence Life & Housing places the following stipulations on those hired as Resident Assistants:
- Maintain a 2.50 cumulative grade point average (Grades will not be rounded).
- You must have a semester grade point average of a 2.00 or better (Grades will not be rounded) Good judicial standing.
- No outside jobs without permission.
- All significant time commitments (over 10 hours per week) require the prior approval of the Residence Director and/or Director of Residence Life and Housing.
- A maximum load of 18 undergraduate credit hours per semester.
- Must have lived as a residential student at Emmanuel College prior to applying for the position.
Resident Assistants are generally hired for the academic year (nine months) and receive:
- A scholarship equal to 75% of room and board for first year.
- A scholarship equal to 100% of room and board during the second year of employment.