Associate Professor of Nursing
Ph.D., The Catholic University of America; M.S., B.S.N., Boston College, ACNS-BS, CNE
Office hours: Tuesday and Thursday 2:00-5:00 p.m.
Other times by appointment
Office: Marian Hall, Room 403-C
Phone: (617) 735-9845
Diane Arathuzik's research includes clinical studies describing how metastatic breast cancer patients cope with pain and how perimenopausal patients view their health.
- Family Nurse Practitioner Training Grant, USDHHS, Division of Nursing. (1998-2001). $447,671.
- Professional Nurse Traineeship Grant, USDHHS, Division of Nursing. (1994-1998). $44,570. $44,865, $35,275, $43,315, $50,645, $64,390.
- Purdue Frederick Research Grant from Oncology Nursing Foundation entitled “Coping with Cancer Pain”. (1994-1996). $6000.
- Junior Faculty Professional Development Grant, University of Massachusetts Boston Entitled “Coping with Cancer Pain: A Model for Nursing Practice.” (1992-1994).
Diane Arathuzik’s professional background includes several years working in medical-surgical nursing, intensive care nursing, oncology nursing, and gynecological nursing at Boston area hospitals. She is a clinical nurse specialist certified in Adult Health Nursing through the American Nurses Credentialing Center. She was Clinical Director of Nursing Operations at Saint Margaret’s Hospital for Women in Dorchester, Massachusetts.
She taught at Boston College School of Nursing, Northeastern University School of Nursing, and the University of Massachusetts Boston College of Nursing. At the University of Massachusetts Boston, she served as Graduate Program Director and received a Family Nurse Practitioner Training Grant and Professional Nurse Traineeship Grants from the Division of Nursing, Department of Health and Human Services. She is an evaluator for the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). She is Chair of the Department of Nursing at Emmanuel College and has served in that capacity since 2008.
She belongs to several professional nursing organizations including Sigma Theta Tau International (Alpha Chi and Pi Epsilon Chapters), the National League of Nursing, the American Nurses Association, the Massachusetts Association of Registered Nurses, the Oncology Nursing Society, and the Eastern Nursing Research Society. She served as President, Vice President, and Secretary of Alpha Chi Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International.
She is a member of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Board of Higher Education Centralized Clinical Placement Task Force that is developing a data base for clinical nursing placements. She is a member of the Advisory Board for the Nursing Programs at Laboure College and a member of the Advisory Board for the Weymouth High School Allied Health Program. She reviews manuscripts for the Oncology Nursing Forum.
- Recipient of the Mentor Award from Alpha Chi Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International, 1998.
- Recipient of the Graduate Program Director Award from the University of Massachusetts Boston, 1995.
- Recipient of the Nursing Research Award from Theta Alpha Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International, 1994.
- Arathuzik, D. (2011). Nurturing nurses' education - Education 2011. Nursing Spectrum, 15(2), 14.
- Arathuzik, M.D. Invited Presentation at the Boston Oncology Nursing Society Program on September 15, 2009 in Boston, Massachusetts entitled "Living with Suffering: Coping with Metastatic Breast Cancer Pain.
- Arathuzik, M. D. Presentation at the Oncology Nursing Society 33rd Annual Congress on May 1, 2009 in San Antonio, Texas entitled "Living with Suffering: The Process of Coping with Metastatic Breast Cancer Pain.
- Arathuzik, D. Poster Presentation at the Oncology Nursing Society 31st Annual Congress on May 6, 2006 in Boston, Massachusetts entitled “Enduring Metastatic Cancer Pain."
- Arathuzik, D., Liebman, M., & Kelly, M. Joint Paper presented at the Eastern Nursing Research Society 12th Annual Scientific Sessions in Newport, Rhode Island on April 1, 2000 entitled “Living with Cancer Pain.”
- Aber, C.S., Arathuzik, D., & Righter, A. Joint Paper presented at the Eastern Nursing Research Society 12th Annual Scientific Sessions in Newport, Rhode Island on March 30, 2000 entitled “Menopause: Fears, Perceptions, Concerns and Coping Techniques of Women.”
- Arathuzik, D., Liebman, M., & Kelly, M. Joint Paper presented at the Sigma Theta Tau International Research Congress in London, England in June, 1999 entitled “Living with Cancer Pain.”
- Aber, C.S., Arathuzik, D., & Righter, A.R. (1998). Women’s perceptions and concerns about menopause. Clinical Excellence for Nurse Practitioners, 2 (4), 232-238.
- Arathuzik, D., & Aber, C. (1997). Factors associated with National Council Licensure Exam success. Journal of Professional Nursing, 14 (2), 119-126.
- Aber, C.S., & Arathuzik, D. (1996). Factors associated with student success in a baccalaureate nursing program within an urban public university. Journal of Nursing Education, 35(6), 285-288.
- Arathuzik, M. D. (1994). Preliminary assessment of the Pain Inventory and the Pain Coping Tool. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Care, 11(5), 25-29.
- Arathuzik, M. D. (1994). Effects of cognitive behavioral strategies on pain in cancer patients. Cancer Nursing, 19(3), 207-214.
- Arathuzik, M. D. (1991). The appraisal of pain and coping in cancer patients. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 13(16), 714-131.
- Arathuzik, M. D. (1991). The pain experience for metastatic breast cancer patients. Cancer Nursing, 14(1), 41-48.