E. Dean Kolbas
Visiting Assistant Professor of Philosophy
Ph.D., M.Phil, Cambridge University (England); M.A., University of Kent at Canterbury (England); B.A., University of Southern California
Office hours: Mondays and Wednesdays 12:00 - 1:30 p.m.
Other times by appointment
Office: Administration Building, Room 457
I have been teaching Philosophy for over ten years and encourage the use of dialogue - the ancient, Socratic method - to elicit answers from students in our mutual pursuit of truth (or, at least, persuasive answers!).
My general interests include, but are not limited to, the philosophy of art and beauty, particularly as an alternative form of knowledge that is distinct from, but no less valid than, scientific or empirical knowledge. More particularly, I am interested in so-called German Idealism (Kant, Hegel) and Critical Theory (Adorno, et al.).
- PHIL 1115 - Recent Moral Issues
- PHIL 1111 - Literature and Philosophy
- PHIL 1112 - Aesthetics
- PHIL 2101 - Problems of Philosophy
- Critical Theory and the Literary Canon, Westview Press, Boulder, CO, 2001.
- "Canons and Canonicity," Encyclopedia of Literature and Politics, ed. Keith Booker, Greenwood Press, Westport, Connecticut, 2005.