Inclement Weather Cancellations
Policies and Procedures 2012-2013
When there are inclement weather conditions, the College will act in accordance with the city of Boston and recommendations by the Governor regarding closing public offices and schools. The College will remain open with "emergency personnel" during snowstorms or severe weather conditions to maintain a residential campus. "Emergency personnel" includes adequate staffing for food service, facilities, and campus safety and residence life. Staff, faculty, students, vendors and guests of Emmanuel College should always refer to the College website for announcements related to inclement weather closings or the cancellation of classes at www.emmanuel.edu. Additionally, all staff, faculty and students must sign up for the RAVE Emergency Notification System. Internal Emmanuel email addresses are automatically used in the system, but students, staff and faculty should also enter their cell phone number to receive a text message and a voicemail. An alternate email address, as well as additional phone numbers may be entered, allowing students to add family contact information. Students, staff and faculty can sign up on Emmanuel College Portal, mysaints.emmanuel.edu, by going to "Applications," on the left, clicking on "My Accounts" and then going to Emergency Notification System.
As soon as a decision is made to cancel classes or close the College, the following steps are taken to notify the College community, visitors and vendors (by 6:00 a.m. for day classes and events and by 2:00 p.m. for evening classes and events):
- A recorded message will be available at the Emmanuel College Snowline 617-264-7795.
- A message is posted in the RAVE Emergency Notification System which sends an email to Emmanuel email accounts and other sources that individuals have indicated on this system.
- Announcements will be posted on the Emmanuel College website: www.emmanuel.edu.
- Announcements will be posted on Emmanuel's Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- The College will contact the media: WHDH-TV/Channel 7 News, CW56/Channel 56, WCVB/Channel 5, WBZ-TV/RADIO/Channel 4. (We cannot always guarantee that local media will announce cancellation information promptly or fully. Please confirm by checking the Emmanuel College website when possible.)
Day classes = classes that begin between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Evening classes = classes that begin at 4:15 p.m. or later.