Emmanuel is the only college in the country to boast a 12-story, 300,000 square-foot private research facility right on campus: Merck Research Laboratories - Boston.
Since Merck opened its doors on campus in October 2004, our students have gained access and opportunity to a world few undergraduates ever get to see, including:
- Merck Scholars Program - scholarships based on outstanding academic performance in the sciences by Emmanuel students
- Support for faculty-student research initiatives and student stipends for summer research projects
- The use of cutting-edge research equipment donated to the College by Merck Research Laboratories
- Emmanuel/Merck Joint Science Seminar Series - a monthly series designed to bring together leaders in the scientific community, Merck scientists and Emmanuel faculty and students
- Exciting internship opportunities in the fields of cancer treatment, Alzheimer's disease and obesity
Sammuel Locasico (Vienna, Austria) and Ynes Helou (Foxborough, MA) Class of 2009, were selected as Merck summer interns for 2008.
"The most intriguing aspects of my internship with Merck Research Laboratories - Boston were the opportunities in both research experience as well as insight into the industry. I was excited to be challenged by a new, unfamiliar research-oriented environment and to represent the College through my professional work. Merck was originally planning on accepting just one Emmanuel intern, however they were able to make space for both myself and another student. I applied all that I had learned about biology and neuroscience at Emmanuel to my work at Merck, where my contributions could make a difference. The academic experience I’ve received from Emmanuel is surely what allowed me access to this internship in the first place. There are very few schools that offer their students the preparation, opportunities and support that I have gotten here at Emmanuel." - Sam
"When I discovered that Merck Research Laboratories - Boston summer internships were offered to Emmanuel students, I knew right away that I needed to take part in such a great opportunity. I have always aspired to work with great minds and take part in influential research. My internship with Merck held great relevance to my future as I hope to focus my graduate studies in pharmacology. Researchers at Merck are continually making great strides in drug discovery and it was indescribable to be involved in such cutting-edge research. As a student majoring in biochemistry at Emmanuel, my experience interning with a pharmaceutical company that has contributed so much to human health was priceless. I was able to not only learn new concepts and ideas as a student, but also practice what I was learning in a professional environment." - Ynes